Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Instead of saying tomorrow, I said today

With the cold, rainy weather we've been have here in new york, I've struggled to find the motivation to get to the gym. Yesterday I went so far as to put on my workout clothes only to decide that my sneakers would be soaked by the time I got to the gym and I didn't feel like wearing boots and carrying my sneakers. Talk about lazy!

That all changed tonight! There was an explosion of drama among my sorority sisters tonight. While I care deeply about the outcome and about each woman, I decide that instead of checking facebook everyone 30 seconds for updates or worse contributing to the drama by posting my frustrations, I'd take to the treadmill and pound it out. Let me tell you. I'm back on my couch and I can say I've totally cleared my head and now as I read facebook posts I can recognize that everyone is over reacting.

Now to my workout. I jogged the half mile to the gym and immediately hopped on the treadmill. I'm going to take effort levels instead of pace here so bare with me.
Ran 1.5 miles at an 8(hard but comfortable, my current 4 or 5 mile race pace)
Walked a recovery half mile
Ran another 1.5 miles at an 8
Walked a recovery half mile
Ran at a 9 for a mile (might have lasted another 1/4 or 1/2 mile)
Walked a recovery quarter mile
Ran at a 10 for half mile (ready to die at the end)
Walked a recovery quarter mile
Ran at a 10 for half mile 
Walked a recovery 1/3 mile
Jogged home 1/2 mile

Total: 5 mile run, 1.8 mile walk, 1 mile jog to and from

For years I've heard people say that working out your emotions helps you center yourself. I've experienced the runner's high before and felt like a rock star but I've never truly used running to take a step back from a frustrating situation. I've run to think things over and I've run because I'm sad and even to celebrate but tonight was different and I kind of liked it.

Wishing you wonderful miles!

No comments:

Post a Comment